Saturday, March 5, 2011

For a few dollars less


When my friends daughter said that she had returned from Cambodia after a holiday, my first reaction was 'Why Cambodia?’ Then the question changed  to 'Where Cambodia'.  Just a click and I got to know all I needed to about the place. I also realized that I was in love with Larry Page. For those clueless, Larry Page is the founding Google CEO and I can’t imagine a life without Google.  

So off I go to Cambodia, on a backpack trip with two other lady friends. No complaints here. At least I did n't have wait outside men’s wash room during the entire trip.

First off, as soon you come out of the Siem Reap airport, there is no limo pick up. You will only find this omnipotent Tuk-tuks, which are not the kind you would find in India or Thailand. Here it is a completely visible motorcycle  to which is attached a trailer with 2 seats which makes you feel like a Mysore Maharajah, with the horses replaced by a Honda scooty. 

There is something American about the place. To begin with they use US dollars for everyday transactions but  they pronounce it  'dolllaaaahh'. The next thing American you will notice is Angelina Jolie. She seems to be very popular here thanks to her movie tomb Raider shot at  Anghkor Wat which my friend fondly calls 'Jolie Mata ka Temple'.  If she fought an election, I am sure she would win hands down. Lastly the locals speak American English.

We spent 3 days in Angkhor Wat with a Cambodian friend marvelling at the ancient Hindu temples. It is mind boggling to say the least. What is baffling more than the enormity is how it was built? The night life in Siem Reap would make Hyderabad seem like Las Vegas. For  an average guy visiting this place, keeping Bangkok in mind the experience would be a let down in the true sense .. no Asian girls walking the streets here wearing nothing but fragrance.

I am full-on Thailand fan, having been there several times. But Cambodia still gets my vote . Where else can you get a foot massage for 2 dolllaaaah and a meal for two with beer for just 5 dolllaaaah?

1 comment: