Friday, September 14, 2012

Flash back 15 years

17th September 1997 was the day when I first came to Hyderabad. An appointment letter from the World Health Organization and a suitcase in hand, I boarded the Indian Airlines flight from Chennai and reached Begumpet. Took the ambassador cab which had to be pushed by couple of others to start, only to reach the nearest petrol station where the cabbie filled all of 1.652 litres of petrol just enough to get me to Koti. It took me 2 hours to reach, since Lord Ganesh was getting his customary annual immersion and the poor soul from Pondicherry was not aware of this practice.

Anyways checked into Hotel Siddartha at Koti. Have to mention that the reception guy asked me strange questions and the bell boy gave me stranger looks. It appeared that this was the first time a young (pretty)woman checked into this hotel all by herself and probably stayed all by herself for a whole week! Ahhh…I felt like a non-pregnant Vidya Balan in Kahaani, on a mission. Technically I was on a mission too - a mission to eradicate Polio. I was given 14 districts … entire Telangana and Vizag,Vizianagaram, Srikakulam, East and West Godavari. My job?...Well .. was to set up a surveillance system for reporting cases of paralysis among children. That’s how things work. We had to have a full proof system to establish that all cases were reported. If we only trusted our Indian Govt officials and politicians to do this, we would eradicated Polio ages back… at least on paper.

Now back to the first day in office. I had to report at the Commissionerate of Family Welfare at Koti, I took the manual rickshaw (where one has to almost squat …these things are now extinct) from the hotel at 8.45 am. Reached the office at 9.00am, only to find no one there. It was a scene out of Will Smith’s ‘ I am legend’… eerie..humanless and yes there was a dog. After almost an hour there appeared some one who looked like an officer, but later I came to know he was the attender but as good as a officer, since he did most things in that office. The cleaning lady came in at 10.30 and brought out at least 50 cigarette butts from no where. The rest of the govt. guys came in between 10.45- 11.am. I introduced myself. Then at 11.30 almost everyone disappeared ... no.. not in the ordering of reporting for work ... they disappeared all at once. It was apparently the GREAT HYDERABADI TEA BREAK. Anyways I introduced myself again after the tea break. Clearly I was not welcome there since I did not know Hindi, Urdu or Telugu ... neither did I smoke nor like Irani chai.

But the next few months changed it all. A hefty salary with perks, a 540 mm Mahindra jeep, a laptop, pager, mobile and most importantly the access to control nearly 30 lakhs for training all the govt doctors works like magic. Felt powerful driving the non-power steering jeep and felt important being the second person to carry the laptop to the govt meetings, after Mr Chandrababu Naidu. Btw, both these helped to me build my biceps … yepp those days, laptops weighed 5 kgs… and I was only 45 kgs then :-( 

The next few years saw me travel to the cities, towns, districts, mandals and villages. Stayed at hotels with room tariff of Rs 100- Rs10,000/ night. There were hotels with beauty parlors, some without and one low-budget hotel in a town in Adilabad district where the door bell rang at 6.am. I opened the door and saw this middle aged, strict looking man with a bag in hand and a scowl on his face. He introduced himself  ’ Main Barber hoon, shaving karna kya?’.  Don't know who was more shocked ... me or he when he realized I was the sole occupant of the room!

I can go on and on, but you guys would get bored. So I am cutting the long story short. I thoroughly enjoyed my work in this state. People are very warm and loving here. Never thought that I would settle here permanently but I did . Andhra Pradesh not only gave me a new life ... it gave a partner as well! 

8 comments:

  1. hahhaa now you are Nizam pori!!! Anyone who drinks Gandipet water cant leave, it is so addictive, belated but welcome to Hyderabad and culture is so adaptive, comfortable with peepaths!!! Old Monk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.. I finally read your blog and that was a really memorable one . It seemed like old hyderabad !
    I think destiny did you good . It was because. Of that we met and we are all happy to know you !
    So Hyderabadi, you are an asset to the city - you are one who mends hearts and the city needs you !
    LG

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is very realistic. I can picturise tha bellboy, barber and the govt. office; well done as always
    G

    ReplyDelete
  4. It almost like a film story..would love to read the longer version :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. enlightened discussion at the gym this morning indicates that ......the moment you start looking back or wallowing in nostalgia is a sure indication of the onset of mid life crisis or menopause as the case maybe...just pulling your leg.... a very nice read indeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felt so nostalgic having had a similar run which started a bit later in October and in a different State HQ, and to think that 15 years have rolled by!! WHO did sharpen our skills and made us know that nothing is impossible tracing every case of AFP was a challenge by itself! It also helped us find a few true friends. great dear to read this very senti blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its very visual...like I was watching everything right in front of my eyes. Awesome narration!!!! As always you rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know i am late in commenting... But i truly enjoyed reading it... Its so interesting.. loved the barber part ;)... Kabba

    ReplyDelete