Monday, February 14, 2011

Chachi Cha cha cha

She is the universal Chachi. All her relatives and friends, young and old call her that way.

She has a very typical Oriya accent. Much is known about the Mallu accent, thanks to their Pan India presence. But the same cannot be said of Oriya accent though it deserves equal merit . Learn Oriyish in 2 secs.


Sh is pronounced as s
A or u is pronounced as o
v is pronounced as bh
So Ramesh would become Romes, Veeresh becomes Bheeres

Coming back to Chachi, she is dominating and protective of her family members. Again a trait  typical to the female species of Orissa, who are generally ‘top heavy’ .... and folks, I am referring to the grey matter in their brains. A chauvinist male in Orissa would be as alien as a henpecked man in the rest of India with the exception of Kerala. If Kerala’s contribution to the world are pretty nurses, Orissa contribution to the country are plumbers and IAS officers and in Hyderabad they can also be found serving food at Ohris.

Chachi has this penchant for old Hindi songs, when I say old I mean really old. In a recently held Sangeet, she wanted to dance for the song ‘Tintin tun’ from the movie 'China town'. Let me give you the background. First off, I am not a Hindi movie buff, having come from Tamil land and to top it ... old songs Hindi songs!.. I would rather have Coffee with NTR Senior.  With some help from Google and using all my intelligence, I discovered she was actually referring to ‘Mera Naam Chin chin tu’ from the movie 'Howrah Bridge'. Eureka, I was happier than Archimedes. I always wondered why he had to run around the town naked, till I visited Florence to see blatant male art in form of sculptures. He just needed an excuse. One more reason to be happy that I am in India and now. Most men like females here.

To sum up,  Chachi is a real-time version of Kamal Hasan in Chachi 420. She can cook, she can dance, she can sing, she can anesthesize but you can't get her to say this ‘VJ Sush likes Ashwath shapely and shaven’

Oh sit, si es gonna sackle me to pieces for this. I better sot up.



(Chachi is my hubby's sis-in law. She is a professor of Anesthesia in one of the medical colleges in Orissa. She is extremely lovable and an universal favorite among the family members. She is what one could call a prototype Oriya .. accent et al)


11 comments:

  1. Hilarious...rofl...will share this with CHACHI...though she is my MAAMI... :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. please send this link to chachi...ooops mummy for reading.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! Amazing.. Maami aunty on a roll.. Still can't forget her hot mail sin ;)i mean scene.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys.. I actually got the movie name wrong..Chachi wanted 'tintin tun' from the movie Howrah Bridge !!! Thats the reason why it was more difficult.. she got both the movie and the song wrong.. Is there a saying that 2 wrongs make a right?
    @ Leena make sure you check that before printing. Maami will sure enjoy this

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Kavita.. was tempted to use the sin stuff.. somehow I felt that will be too sceneful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I m sure Maami aunty is gonna love this blog :)..

    And how i wish the saying "Two wrong words make a right one" is true :P........... Wrong or Right say it full confidence, that the other person is totally confused......

    ReplyDelete
  7. @vj:- hope u remember the aswastha(ashwath)chapter, wat a laugh it was and how u forgot..jaacuggi(jacuzzi!!!)....i have a word to add to mum's dictionary..knight(is actually pronounced night!! which my mum for her convinience and understanding says it(ke-night!!!)
    god save thesaurus dictionary....

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Archana: Lol!!!!!!. Can't help it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a totaall phamili sin here!

    ReplyDelete