Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sweats and Pains



I hit the gym ... finally!

It was not to lose weight
It was not to get in shape
It was not to energize my brain
And it was not to glow my skin

It was to get me out of my recently acquired but forcefully addictive habit namely - The Great Afternoon Nap, which actually started extending right into the evening.

Let me give you the background. I was always a hyperactive child… one could even say a difficult one.   I could never sleep after lunch.  I would read, study, memorize or play games or play pranks. Was in both ends of the spectrum .. had outstanding grades in the class and was also ‘standing-out’ of the class.  But, winning accolades or brickbats came at a cost – no afternoon nap!

The sleepless-noon phenomenon continued right through college and early career.  And then I swtiched career and decided to work smart. No night shifts, no work on Sundays, no work on holidays … ok here is the grandaddy of all .. I decided to work only for 5 hours a day. So I get back home for lunch and since I had nothing else to do, I took to napping.   Initially it was for half an hour, then an hour and then couple of hours.  Sometimes I would be sleeping till my hubby came back home from office at 7.00 pm. The power nap became a powerful nap and I needed divine intervention to kick off this habit. And guess what ..... I was heard. One of the most popular Gym in the city opened shop close by and closed doors on my post lunch siesta.

Boy, they really know how to keep the girls interested. No, there was no young, good looking, well bodied male instructors. But who needs them anyways, when we have the Zumba, the Bumba and the Tumba  (the last two being dancing to Bollywood and Telugu item numbers).  I was happily gyrating, kicking, reverse curling, lunging, stepping and stretching all the while thinking I was just dancing.  A cleverly disguised program… indeed.

Three weeks of Aerobics, and here I am, this is me

No forty winks
A hamstring pull
Calf muscle cramps
Gluteal strain
Sore biceps
Broken Toe nails
Ten pairs of gym clothes
Three pairs of sports shoes
And wondering, whether to sign up for the next month.  

A close friend consolingly chips in "You require at least 45 days for acclimatization". 
Any other advice people? 

4 comments:

  1. Lol...lol...no advice just quit napping... ;-) and njoi gymming :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you should join me, then probably will have to find ways to get time to have a night nap... forget afternoon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe.. good suggestion Kabba.. a li'l expensive though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put on your dancing shoes and keep at it no more nappees VJ......do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do

    ReplyDelete