Friday, June 24, 2011

My Tam Brahm roots


My fathers grandpa was Mr.Thiagaraja Narayanaswamy Iyer, an orthodox Tamil Brahmin and a cool drink manufacturer. The year was 1898 and the place Tiruchirapalli. He converted to Christianity. His name changed to Vincent Noelswamy Iyer. His cold drink brand came to be known as ‘Vincent’ and so has my surname. 

That was quite revolutionary. I clearly know where my rebel genes came from.

I have always wondered why he did so.
  • Did he not find meaning in the mantras?  
  • Or did he find something in the Book of Christians?
  • Did the European missionaries bribe him?
  • Or was he simply disgusted with dhotis and wanted to wear pants?
 It could be any of these or none of these. I would never know


I wondered about the 'What if my Grandad didn't convert scenario'...... I would have probably been in Trichy, wearing a nine-yard saree and jasmine flowers, sipping filter coffee, learnt Bharatnatyam (Carnatic music would still be out of my league considering my cracked-up voice) .....or I may have been an IITian and the first Indian woman to have got a Nobel prize for Physics or Math.  Either way, I would have been a miser. 

Presently, the Indian Brahmins are getting poorer. 'Hum do, humare ek' rule is strictly followed by Brahmins because they can afford that much only. In a country which has reservation and protection for minority religion, backward caste, women, senior citizens, children, dark skinned, all kinds of challenged people including those with common sense and hard work, Italians, tigers and environment.... Brahmins would soon become an endangered species .... if not extinct.

(The blog writer is not racist and identifies herself as a global citizen with open views)

10 comments:

  1. haha terrific... i cant become a SC so converting to a Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will do everything to keep the extinct species alive ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the south indian christians were converted from higher cast and well to do lot; obviously it wasn't money.wonder what motivated them !
    George

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ms.Vincent , grt grandpa wAs probably converted by a white babe , ever thought of that ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Mr.Sharma.. great piece of lateral thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think whatever be the reason, the outcocme is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well...for a country blessed with abundance of issues to preserve and species to conserve ...da brahmin 'lot' sure is a piece-of-cake and jus lyk da traditional indian marriage - EVERYTHING WILL BE MANAGED WHEN DA TIME COMES....
    ...thank u great grandpa..for saving us from da jasmine flowers and da nine yard sarees...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Dear S,

    "VJ" has been a mystery for quite sometime and I have not been able to crack up the code. Thanks to your grandpa, he spilled the beans on V. I guess it would need some deep exploration to get to know the other side J. May be the mystery shall be revealed in another encounter of blogging.

    I truely enjoyed your writing...a lucid subject, fluent flow and enough kinks packed in to make it provocative and attractive to read on. It has been both enticing and joyful. W.r.t to the concerns about extintion of Tam Bram, I feel sorry that I cannot be of much help since I dont' belong there. Therefore, I am relaxing on that front.

    VJ has been quite constrictive to me....since I use the same acronym. Considering it is her hightness' blog, I retreat and cut myself to half.....just a V. Therefore, I decided to sign myself as just V.

    Hey, keep this going and hope to have more fun.

    V

    ReplyDelete