Friday, July 29, 2011

What's in a bag?



Nothing I guess…. unless it costs $37,000 and is carried by a political leader of a country where the per capita income hovers around $1000 a year (India is no better.. its Rs 46.492 out here)  Birkin bag sure seems to be grabbing Indian eyeballs  at the moment .. firstly it made a friendly appearance as Bag- Mati in Zoya Akthar's ZNMD and now as Mrs Khar’s fashion accessory.

Pakistan’s youngest and first woman Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar may have come and gone.... but she left behind a mediaful of attention and a twitterful of comments. Her much written about ensemble and accessories included a south sea pearl necklace, a black Hermes Birkin bag, Jimmy choo heels and Roberto Cavalli sunglasses. No .. she was not accused of using public money to accessorize herself (she could well afford those herself considering her background)…. her crime was that of being insensitive.  I have no comments or suggestions for her. I only feel sorry that she chose to be a politician in a third world country.

The Hermes Birkins bag, named after 1960s English actress Jane Birkin, is sought after only because it is available on a limited basis, apparently through a legendary waiting list. Though the basic model costs $7000 upwards, it feels incredibly cheap when compared to the worlds most expensive handbag - The 1001 Nights Diamond Purse by House of Mouawad. It has 4500 diamonds and costs 3.8 million dollars!



Well .. about bags and me. I never bought a Louis Vuitton, Chanel or a Gucci bag. I may have that kind of money but I was never a ‘bag’ person. I could never tell the difference between an original and a fake. Even the best counterfeit bag market in Bangkok with their catalogue et al couldn’t tempt me. Nor did my best friend’s comment that God made me thrifty (read stingy) provoke me.  To me a handbag would always remain a utility item and not a fashion accessory. I only carry them to work and when I travel alone. Other times, I have my husband and his fat right-sided bottom …. fat 'cos of the fully loaded Mont blanc wallet !!!


  


5 comments:

  1. Interesting..... I would want to own one of these bags!!!!..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why one Kabba?... wish u loads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadna , it seems that u r reading/ watching too much of news nowadays n i guess that Paki FM's husband (with a big fat right bottom ) didn't accompany her ... Women !

    ReplyDelete